If you have a fireplace at your home, it is most probably a central element of your living room. But given how dangerous it is to have such a placement, you need to place a protective encasement around the fireplace. A grate is a perfect safety encasing you can have for your fireplace.
In this article, we are going to list down some of the top and best fireplace grates and this will help you pick and choose the right choice.
When you are out shopping for a fireplace grate, there are some factors that you need to check first. Consider this as a short and quick buying guide and be sure to check the following aspects:
- Type of the fireplace grate: The first and foremost thing that you need to consider in a fireplace grate is what type of grate is it. Generally, fireplace grates are available in 3 types, steel, cast iron, and grate heaters. Steel bars are used for wood whereas cast iron grates are great for both wood or charcoal. Grate heaters are tubular-shaped grates that perfect for wood and can produce heat back into the house at a higher temperature. Other types include rake style grates, boxed models, enclosures, and many more as well.
- Size of the grate: The next important thing that you need to consider is the size of the grate. Generally, the size of the grate would depend on the size of the fireplace in question. There are, however, adjustable grate models as well but they are not so common or widespread. Typical fireplaces come with about 21 inches to 30 inches of size but larger grates are available as well
- The material used in its construction: This is a bit similar to the type of grate as well but more concerned about the type of the material used in its build. Most of the grates here are either made out of wrought iron or stainless steel. There are a few cast-iron grates as well but they are not as effective as the stainless steel models
Now that you know what the three key factors are to look for in a fireplace grate, let us jump in to review the best fireplace grates to buy online.
7 Best Fireplace Grates
7 Best Fireplace Grates Reviews
First on our list is the Amagabeli fireplace log grate. Amagabeli is a highly reviewed and rated company and so is their product. Made out of wrought iron, this grate is available not only in the 21 inches model but also in 24 inches and 30 inches models as well.
- Measures about 21 inches long with 12.5 inches in width and about 7.5 inches in height.
- The grate has about 4 inches of depth under the crossbar.
- The grate blower can help you in lifting up the firewood off the chimney’s floor and also the hearth. This will facilitate for better airflow and circulation and thus warmer and comfortable passage of air throughout the room and also all over the outdoor fire pits as well.
- Has 7 steel bars and a v shape rack hold that aids in starting the fire. The fire white birch logs are great for kindling the fire close and make it easy to light a fire as well.
- The width of the bars in the grate holds the wood better and makes sure that the coal burns off securely without any jumping out.
- The front feet are 18 inches apart and the back feet are 16.5 inches apart from each other
- As for the bars in the grates, the logs are crafted out of high-quality solid steel bar rods of 1 inch by 3/4 inches thickness. These heavy duties and durable rods also double to give the overall fireplace an aesthetically pleasing look.
- The grate even comes with a 3 months guarantee for quality from the manufacturer from the date of purchase
- None too specific to mention
Next up on our list is a cast iron fireplace grate. The Vestal 324 ML is a 24 inches large cast iron fireplace grate. This one too comes with great ratings and good reviews.
- 24 inches large cast-iron build grate that is built for not only wood but also for coal
- Single piece with no assembly required. Direct fireplace placement.
- Has open ends on either side.
- While the front of the grate has 24 inches, the back of the grate has about 20 and 3/4 inches width
- The grate goes about 14 and 3/4 inches deep.
- Sturdy build and durable material that lasts for a very long time.
- Well enough width of the grate rods inside it that will hold the coal and wood at a good distance
- Great value for money
- None too specific to mention
Pleasant Hearth’s 3/4 inches premium solid steel fireplace grates are miniature and for small fireplaces. These 18 inches large grates are perfect not only for smaller grate sizes but also for cascading for larger grate sizes as well. These grates are also available in 21 inches, 24 inches, 27 inches, 30 inches, 33 inches, and 36 inches sizes as well
- The hearth grate comes with a total of 5 heavy-duty bars and each of the bars is 3/4 inches wide
- All of the solid bars are made out of high quality and heavy-duty steel construction for longevity.
- This grate can lift up heavy firewood off from the chimney floor and thus aid in air circulation easily
- Safety first design allows for the firewood and outdoor firepit designs for better safety
- Comes in a black powder coating that gives the grates better heat resistance
- Innovative craftsmanship and has a value for money
- Heavyweight construction that gives good mass to sit down for the wood
- Comes with a lifetime warranty clause for the rod’s construction
- Could have had a decent enclosure as well
Next on our list is the Panacea Product’s Corp 15450Tv 18 inches wrought iron built fireplace grate. With incredibly high ratings and reviews, the grate has a similar design schema such as the Pleasant hearth listing above.
- 5 bar model with all the bars having been made out of high quality wrought iron
- The entire grate is of 18 inches in length
- Has a 6 inches height and about 11 inches in depth.
- The hexagonal build structure add greater stability and easier to place structure
- Black powder-coated to prevent any rusting and also makes it resistant to large heating.
- Considerably smaller in size and could have had better size.
Next up on our list, we have the InnFinest’s 23 inches large six-bar based fire grates. These bars for the fireplace are made out of heavy-duty steel and are perfect not only for indoor fireplaces but also for outdoor fire pits and great as a fire kindling tool as well.
- 23 inches large area of fireplace grate made out of heavy-duty and high quality wrought iron material.
- The log burning grates come with thick and solid 3/4 inches of square bars made out of high-quality steel
- Has 14.25 inches in width and about 8.5 inches in height.
- The v shape of the firewood rack will help better in holding the fire logs and also in the kindling of the white birch logs that help in easier lighting of the fire.
- The metal wood rack will allow for better circulation of air around the logs and thus allow you to light the fire below the rack easily.
- The bars of the grate are wide and have enhanced surface that makes it easier to hold wood and thus ensures secure burning of the coal.
- It has 4 legs of enhances stability that prevents it from collapsing due to either the firewood weight or the heat.
- Easy to clean and has high clarence under the wrought iron crossbar. This will allow for the firewood to be lifted high enough and the hearth for better airflow circulation.
- The grates are forged through the electro-forging process that will make sure that the grates last longer and minimize the smoke formation and easier ash cleaning.
- It comes with 4 months of warranty as well and is also available in a 27 inches variant.
- None too specific to mention
Next up on our list, we have a rather interesting and a highly conveniently built fireplace grate. The HY-C liberty foundry G800- 20-BX is a 20 inches large firegrate that has enclosed sides that make it easier for placement in any kind of fire easily.
- Has a 20 inches front with about 16 inches of back side and abotu 15 inches of depth.
- Each of the bars used in it have about 4 inches of cast-on leg clearance that enable smoother flaming of the fire.
- Made out of heavy duty and high quality cast iron material. Long term performance with long term durable build.
- Maximum airflow capable and can give you efficient burning to limit down bad chimney designs.
- The grate can lift up wood away from the firebox floor and this enables smoother air circulation and lesser ash build up.
- Optimized for depths and easy wood loading as well. Safer to contain even the hottest of the available fires.
- Also available in 24 inches and 27 inches as well.
- Includes 1 year of limited warranty window from the date of purchase as well
- None too specific to mention
Last on our list, we have a rather small and compact sized fireplace grate. The SteelFreak is a heavy-duty and the local USA made fireplace grate that comes with an open-ended model of design.
- Made out of Heavy-duty and all-steel construction that promises greater stability and sturdiness
- The bars have tapered shape and this is a convenient shape for most of the fireplaces
- Thanks to the uniquely designed shorter center support legs, you can expect zero shakings, sagging or rocking
- Each bar is about 3/8 by 1 inch thick and this adds on to the durability of the grates
- The bottom of the grate has good lift off which will facilitate better air flow circulation easily
- Could have improved the leg’s wrought iron quality
Of all the products listed today, the AMAGABELI fireplace log grate seems to be a winner. This 21 inches large grate is made out of heavy-duty solid steel material and has 3/4 inches large bars that are strong and sturdy in nature.
The grate has 7 steel bars and has good airflow circulation for better fire flaming. It also comes with 3 months guarantee on quality and thus is easily the best fireplace grate to buy online. What did you think of our list? Do let us know your views in the comments section below. For any questions, our team will write back to you as soon as possible.